Making symbols ie ALT+164=ñ

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Edited Jan 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

How can I make symbols like the one mentioned in the title? Im mostly writing in spanish for law school and the use of the ALT+numbers is pretty vital. Now every time I have to make a letter or symbol I have to Google it and copy/paste it lol.

I have tried searching for workarounds like establish a shortcut on the OS to make for example, fn + alt + the letter make the appropriate symbol to no avail. Building that to the code would be awesome but I could deal with simple alt+XXX to type what I need.

Below is a chart of the needed letters and the ALT code needed to type it. 15 letters total that would help all the spanish speaking people using the AWK with Windows!

LETTER WINDOWS
Alt-XXXX
WINDOWS
Alt-XXX
LETTER WINDOWS
Alt-XXXX
WINDOWS
Alt-XXX
á Alt-0225 Alt-160 Á Alt-0193 -
é Alt-0233 Alt-130 É Alt-0201 Alt-144
í Alt-0237 Alt-161 Í Alt-0205 -
ó Alt-0243 Alt-162 Ó Alt-0211 -
ú Alt-0250 Alt-163 Ú Alt-0218 -
ü Alt-0252 Alt-129
ñ Alt-0241 Alt-164 Ñ Alt-0209 Alt-165
¡ Alt-0161 Alt-173 ¿ Alt-0191 Alt-168

The ALTs with 3 letters are the most used everywhere. Its common to go pretty much to any office and see an old paper pasted on the side of the monitor with the codes XD. For upper case letter with the symbol it could be mapped using ALT-165 onwards for the remaining "Á É Í Ó Ú Ñ ¿ ¡", or for example fn+alt+n=ñ pressing it twice fn+alt+n+n=Ñ. Thanks a lot!!

Chart taken from http://homepage.smc.edu/erickson_maria/acentos.htm

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Alright, nevermind got it to work. I'll post it here to help others that might have the same issue. 

Enable, in my case on Windows 7 Ultimate, go to control panel > Region and Language>Keyboards and Languages> Change keyboards> change keyboards > text services and input languages>general> Installed services>Add... >Keyboard>United States-International > Apply OK close. Installed services > Default inout language> English international as default. As an extra precaution delete the original English since Windows like to keep it's defaults no matter what.

Now the right ALT+the letter will add a bunch of useful symbols including those above mentioned. Examples of this on the AWK starting from the number keys on top:

¡²³¤€¼½¾‘’¥×äåé®þüúíóö«»¬áßðø¶´æ©ñµç¿ 

Shift will also put those on capital letters.

It's an old function but nevertheless one that can slip thru your mind. All in all now the AWK has become to me the best keyboard ever. The only thing that could better this would be the same thing with backlit keys. Coño!